May 1-3 and May 8-10
Camp John H. Ware 3rd
239 Jubilee Road
Peach Bottom, PA 17563
National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is an exciting, action-packed two-weekend council-level program designed to provide Scouts in troops, crews and ships with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
Unit leaders have the primary responsibility for training their youth leaders. The first step in the BSA youth leadership training continuum is conducted in the home unit (Introduction to Leadership Skills). Scouts who have completed this training may attend.
NYLT is filled with activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and camping in a team and model unit environment. Participants learn and practice skills that are valuable at home, church, school, work and the Scouting unit.
The course is designed for Scouts BSA members who are at least 13 years old, and for Venturers or Sea Scouts who are at least 13 years old and have completed eighth grade. Since a Scout only takes this course once, it is critical for the youth to get the maximum benefit from this experience; therefore, it is essential that they be able to handle the demands of this advanced course, which requires maturity, experience, and proficiency in basic camping skills.
At NYLT, a temporary training unit is formed consisting of youth from troops, crews and ships across the council. This training unit is instructed and led by a highly qualified group of outstanding youth and adult trainers. At the end of this conference, the Scout returns to their home unit with advanced knowledge of leadership skills and patrol/troop/crew operation.
Requirements and Expectations
- Scouts must be registered in a troop and be at least First Class rank. Scouts in troops must be at least 13 years of age, but not yet 18 by day one of the course. Venturers and/or Sea Scouts must be registered in a crew and/or ship, must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. No exceptions.
- Live by the Scout Oath and the Scout Law at all times.
- Be able to attend the entire course. If a Scout does not attend the full course they will not receive credit for the course.
- Unit leader approval and have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops (ILST) which is delivered at the unit level.
The fee for NYLT training is $250. The fee includes a t-shirts and one neckerchief, name tag and food.
Every participant must provide a current BSA Annual Health and Medical Record (Parts A, B Under Are You Going to Camp?). A pre-participation physical is needed.
- Part A is an informed consent, release agreement and authorization that needs to be signed by every participant (or a parent and/or legal guardian for all youth under 18).
- Part B is general information and health history.
Forms need to be brought with you on the first day of the course. Emailed or electronic copies are not allowed and will not be accepted.
Forms can be downloaded at www.scouting.org/scoutsource/healthandsafety/ahmr.aspx. The form must be completely filled out and signed by a physician. Medical forms are only current for one year and must not expire before the last day of NYLT.