Recharter is the process where a Scout unit renews its charter as an official part of the Boy Scouts of America. This involves:
- an update of your unit’s roster (including adding/subtracting members, updating contact information for individuals or your unit’s chartering organization)
- payment of registration fees with the national Boy Scouts of America organization
- and payment of group insurance coverage
These are the main changes for 2014:
- BSA membership fee has increased for all youth and all adults to $24/yr or $2/mo. There is no change to the Boys Life subscription fee. This National fee applies to all December charters, without regard of when submitted.
- No fees will be collected for LDS units. The LDS Church will pay fees directly to National on behalf of its wards.
- CCCBSA requires all direct contact unit leaders (CM, SM, VC, NL, SK, DL, WL and all assistants to these positions) and committee chairs (CC) to have completed BSA required basic training for their position prior to recharter. Exceptions for those newly registered to their position should be discussed with your commissioner staff.
- ScoutParent has been eliminated by BSA as of July 1. Adults who were only registered as ScoutParents will appear in IR with no position. Units with such adults must either register the adult in a position or delete the adult in IR Stage 2. If the adult is registered in a position, it is considered a new registration requiring a completed application and payment of registration and insurance fees.
- BSA added a new position, Unit Scouter Reserve, which can be used to replace ScoutParent. This position has no training requirements other than the YPT joining requirement. An application is required along with payment of membership and insurance fees.
- ScoutParent Unit Coordinator has been renamed Parent Coordinator. There are no other changes to this position.
How does your unit complete Internet Recharter?
CLICK HERE for a presentation that will walk you through Internet Recharter
Are you a Cub Scout Pack, Boy Scout Troop, Venturing Crew or Sea Scout Ship? (Site becomes active November 1)
CLICK HERE to access Internet Recharter.
Lost or forgotten your access code? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Unit Instructions for CC's and Recharter Processors (New for 2014)
Download this instruction form for details on how to process your charter.
Milestones of note:
October - create an accurate roster and arrange for dues payments to be received by 11/15.
November 7 - reach stage one online
November 15 - reach stage three online
November 30 - reach stage five (submit) online
December 7 - turn in recharter signed forms with fees at recharter day.
All Charter renewals are due on or before December 7th. Each district commissioner staff is hosting a "recharter day" to receive your completed charter.
The annual membership fee for January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014 is $24.00. This applies to both youth and adult membership in the Boy Scouts of America. All adult leaders are also required to take Youth Protection training before they can be re-registered and must retake this training every two years. This training can be completed online at myscouting.org. For new applicants, please include a copy of their Youth Protection Training completion certificate with each filled out adult application.