Recharter is the process where a Scout unit renews its charter as an official part of the Boy Scouts of America. This involves:
- an update of your unit’s roster (including adding/subtracting members, updating contact information for individuals or your unit’s chartering organization)
- payment of registration fees with the national Boy Scouts of America organization
- and payment of group insurance coverage
These are the main points for 2015-2016:
- Fees for registration, Boys' Life and insurances remain the same as last year.
- No registration fees will be collected for LDS units. The LDS Church will pay fees directly to National on behalf of its wards.
- CCCBSA requires all direct contact unit leaders (CM, SM, VC, NL, SK, DL, WL and all assistants to these positions) and committee chairs (CC) to have completed BSA required basic training for their position prior to recharter. Exceptions for those newly registered to their position (less than 12 months) should be discussed with your commissioner staff.
- CCCBSA requires that all leaders being rechartered have Youth Protection Training (YPT) valid through the end of their registration period (i.e. December 31, 2016.) This will effectively require all registered adults to take YPT at some point each calendar year. (Units can also run this training using BSA supplied videos at a leader meeting.)
- PA Mandated Background Checks/Waivers – In order to recharter, all registered adults need them OR the Recharter Letter of Understanding. For more information, see cccbsa.org/PABackgroundChecks.
How does your unit complete Internet Recharter?
CLICK HERE for a presentation that will walk you through Internet Recharter. Reminder that your first access each year is as a "First Time User" even if you processed last year's charter.
Are you a Cub Scout Pack, Boy Scout Troop, Venturing Crew or Sea Scout Ship? (Site becomes active November 1)
CLICK HERE to access Internet Recharter.
Lost or forgotten your access code? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Unit Instructions for CC's and Recharter Processors
Download this instruction form for details on how to process your charter.
Milestones of note:
October - create an accurate roster and arrange for dues payments to be received by November 15.
November 1 - reach stage one online
November 5 - reach stage three online
November 15- reach stage five (submit) online
November 21 - turn in recharter signed forms with fees at recharter day.
All Charter renewals are due on or before November 21st. Each district commissioner staff is hosting a "recharter day" to receive your completed charter.
The annual membership fee for January 1, 2016 to December 31, 2016 remains $24.00. This applies to both youth and adult membership in the Boy Scouts of America. All adult leaders are also required to have Youth Protection training with an expiration date extending to or beyond their membership expiration date (Dec. 31, 2016 for most units) before they can be re-registered. This training can be completed online at my.scouting.org. For new applicants, please include a copy of their Youth Protection Training completion certificate and PA background clearances/waivers with each filled out adult application.