Recharter is the process where a Scout unit renews its charter as an official part of the Boy Scouts of America. This involves:
- an update of your unit’s roster (including adding/subtracting members, updating contact information for individuals or your unit’s chartering organization)
- payment of registration fees with the national Boy Scouts of America organization
- and payment of group insurance coverage
These are the main points for 2014-2015:
- Fees for registration, Boys' Life and insurances remain the same as last year.
- No registration fees will be collected for LDS units. The LDS Church will pay fees directly to National on behalf of its wards.
- CCCBSA requires all direct contact unit leaders (CM, SM, VC, NL, SK, DL, WL and all assistants to these positions) and committee chairs (CC) to have completed BSA required basic training for their position prior to recharter. Exceptions for those newly registered to their position (less than 12 months) should be discussed with your commissioner staff.
- Effective this recharter, CCCBSA now requires that all leaders being rechartered have Youth Protection Training (YPT) valid through the end of their registration period (i.e. December 31, 2015.) This will effectively require all leaders to take YPT at some point each calendar year. (Units can also run this training using BSA supplied videos at a leader meeting.)
How does your unit complete Internet Recharter?
CLICK HERE for a presentation that will walk you through Internet Recharter. Reminder that your first access each year is as a "First Time User" even if you processed last year's charter.
Are you a Cub Scout Pack, Boy Scout Troop, Venturing Crew or Sea Scout Ship? (Site becomes active November 1)
CLICK HERE to access Internet Recharter.
Lost or forgotten your access code? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Unit Instructions for CC's and Recharter Processors
Download this instruction form for details on how to process your charter.
Milestones of note:
September and October - create an accurate roster and arrange for dues payments to be received by 11/15.
October 26 - reach stage one online
November 5 - reach stage three online
November 15- reach stage five (submit) online
November 22 - turn in recharter signed forms with fees at recharter day.
(Some districts may offer other recharter opportunities.)
All Charter renewals are due on or before December 1st. Each district commissioner staff is hosting a "recharter day" to receive your completed charter.
The annual membership fee for January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015 remains $24.00. This applies to both youth and adult membership in the Boy Scouts of America. All adult leaders are also required to have Youth Protection training with an expiration date extending to or beyond their membership expiration date (Dec. 31, 2015 for most units) before they can be re-registered. This training can be completed online at myscouting.org. For new applicants, please include a copy of their Youth Protection Training completion certificate with each filled out adult application.